Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Yes, it is another thing that I am doing instead of working. But this one is a little different. I have always been a sports nut, and this is my place to sound off on whatever comes to mind. First, this...

Albert Pujols is just like Babe Ruth

Amazing article, and (in my humble opinion) shows that Pujols is not on performance enhancers. He is one of the rare players who sees the game differently. Although when I first read the headline, I figured the test would have more to do with hot dogs, beer and hookers. By the way, if any scientists are testing the effects of those stimuli on the average human, well I would like to volunteer my time.

To tell you about myself in this world, I am very much a homer when it comes to my teams, but that does not mean that I will not criticize where necessary. For instance, I think that Nick Markakis should be a top nominee for the ROY this year. He is someone that the FO got RIGHT. But that being said, them not trading Tejada when they had the chance (especially when Oswalt was on the table) was unconscionable. Would the Orioles have missed his bat? Yes. His leadership? Not 100% sure about that. Would Fahey have been a defensive upgrade? Yup. Fact of the matter is, 9th straight losing season means you have to try something else. Miggy is a great player. I have his jersey. If I wasn't working, I would probably be wearing it right now. But that being said, the window to build your team around him is closing fast, and any leadership he brings to the table would have been replaced by Melvin Mora, who does not get nearly enough credit for what he brings to the table both on the field and with his level of professionalism. We have some good young players and a LOT of potential on the mound with Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen and Penn. I like Benson a lot, but I could see Oswalt doing for the Fantastic Four(my new name for them. I claim credit for that!) what Sutcliffe did for Mussina. He would definitely had to have pitched here next year, and if next year you are cocksure you are not going to re-sign him and you are not in contention for the playoffs, you trade him for some prospects. Get a year of education, let him and Mazzone work their magic on them, and the cut bait.

There will be more where this came from, but this will do it for now. In the meantime, if you have a question/comment/opinion/bunion/whatever the hell is stuck in your crawl, drop me a line. I would love to get some good dialogue going on here, and it doesn't have to be about Baltimore sports teams either. That will be my focus, but if you have something about the Cardinals (MLB or NFL) that you want to get off your chest, let's hear it!

BSR

No comments:

Post a Comment